Thursday, April 14, 2011

Doubling Up on the Knee Hook

At one point I knew this maneuver as the beginning part of something called ‘The Offensive Pointed Knee’.

The whole idea is that I’m hooking my foot behind the back of my opponent’s knee and I am pulling him forward. This unbalances him and leaves him vulnerable to further attacks. It is not a sparring maneuver.

While pulling on his twice is good exercise, it is unlikely to be effective as an actual defense. As I demonstrate at the end of the vid, against a resistant attacker who does not fall down, the pull tenses him up. This may leave him open to a second kick with the other leg.

The rule of ‘tit-for-tat’ applies here because of the close proximity of my attacker. 'If I’m close enough to hit him and he’s my height then he’s probably close enough to hit me too. And if he’s taller or has a longer reach he hit me while I cannot hit him.

Without prejudice

No comments:

Post a Comment