Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Outside Palm Block and Counter Punch

Again today’s defence combination drill is done against a punch to the face.

In this defence my blocking hand is both up and it is open.
The whole idea is that an attacker is snapping his (her) jab quickly.
I don’t have a lot of time here so having my hand up to begin with is vital.

I haven’t mentioned much about the concept of ‘drawing an attack’.
The most basic idea is that I give an identifiable attacker a target.
When they attempt to attack that target, I’m ready with a defence and counter punch.

It is vital that a counter punch follow the block.
The whole point of this drill is to make staying safe a reflex.
A counter punch is the obvious follow-up to the defence.
The counter punch is used to deter the attacker from punching repeatedly.

This is a drill.
This drill is designed to build confidence in combining a defence with a counter punch.
This drill is designed to build speed, power, rhythm...
All that good stuff I might need if push goes to shove.

But...

It would likely be applied differently against a hostile attacker.




Without prejudice

No comments:

Post a Comment