Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Jab Cross

Although I have blogged about heavy bag work for several days (and will for several more), I actually prefer Haslets (?) idea that heavy bag work should be done no more than ONCE a week. Otherwise I notice I have a tendency to slow down and push the bag instead of snapping my punches out crisply.

The lead jab followed by a rear cross punch is one of several basic combinations I like to practice when performing bag work. The jab performs several important functions like measuring distance, distracting the opponent, forcing him (or her) to react and the like.

All these things allow my read hand cross punch to land more effectively after the jab has done its work.

While I try to make the jab a powerful punch that damages an attacker all by itself, I also work on flowing smoothly from the quick jab into the more powerful cross. I find the smooth flow from one punch to the other is vital for the use of this combination.

Without prejudice

No comments:

Post a Comment