Sunday, October 31, 2010

Rising Block and Counter Punch

This week I’m going to be reviewing some very basic defenses.
They will be basic lead arm block and rear arm counter punch combinations.
Draw an attack, block the attack and counter punch after.

Today I’m defending against an overhand punch to the face.

In this drill:
I know the attacker is going to punch once.
I have pretty good idea where.
My arms are low to draw the attack.
I execute a stationary rising block against incoming attack.
And THEN I torque my hips into my counter punch (with my rear arm).

The timing in this drill is critical.
It has a basic one-two rhythm.
I literally perform this drill with a pause between block and counter.

This is absolutely different that moving while blocking.
It is also absolutely different than simultaneously blocking and countering.

Without prejudice

No comments:

Post a Comment