Saturday, November 5, 2011

Inside to Side Blocking Drill

This week I’m practicing the secondary blocks of Yellow Belt. Secondary blocks are just as important as primary, only the name is different (from primary blocks) as is the area the block covers.

Secondary blocks of Yellow Belt cover the sides of the head and torso and the front of the torso from below the solar plexus to a point an inch or so below the belly button.

Today, I’m defending the side of the head with an inside block down to the side. Notice how the upper arm coves way out to the side. The bones of the arm, shoulder and torso form a solid base capable of withstanding a powerful attack.

Also, the forearm is curved in toward the head. This makes for a glancing type of contact. This, in turn, makes for a more effective block.

I also take care to tighten my core when finishing the block and then loosening up between blocks. The whole thing reads as much more complicated than it feels when I do it.

I have used this against an actual attack and found it to be an effective defense.

Without prejudice

No comments:

Post a Comment