Sunday, January 12, 2014

Cane Basics

Basics using the Cane
http://youtu.be/18Jh5AA_-4I
I have a serious back injury that I have to modify all my training around. I wear a back brace, I use a Cane and I train with this injury in mind.

There are three ways I use the Cane. I put it aside to allow the use of both hands. I hold onto it while I am striking with the other hand. I use it as a tool in my training.

I use nine basic grips on the Cane and it is just easier to show them than to describe them so I’ll let you watch the video. The first six I have shown before and the ninth is suitable only for punching.

The seventh and eight grips allow me to shorten my grip on the cane and use it in a one handed fashion at fingertip distance.

There are two major ways I hold onto this piece of wood. One is the hammer grip and two is the saber grip. I do not like to grip this piece of wood like a sword because it does not function like a sword and the risk of injury is significant. So I prefer the hammer grip.


Six Basic Blocks with the Cane in the Eight Grip
http://youtu.be/VD9NjCwm4iA
Again, this is done at fingertip distance. The basic blocks I use against a bare handed attack with my forearm are also done with the cane. I make it a point to use the portion of the cane closest to my hand to block with.

These blocks are done against a bare handed attack. Weapons defenses are done somewhat differently.


Grip Switching from the Walking Grip the Half Grip
http://youtu.be/b1qWPuTyt3M
The video shows best how this is done. The basic idea is to go from ‘one’ grip to ‘seven’ grip to ‘eight’ grip and back to ‘one’ grip again.

This is done in a looking at it in neutral to start off with and gradually progressing to moving through stance changes while not looking at it.

The idea is to making using the cane and changing grips without letting go, an effortless movement.

Without prejudice


No comments:

Post a Comment