Tuesday, January 21, 2014

The 2nd Grip on the Cane and the Backhand Thrust at Punching Distance

http://youtu.be/UtX0gCgCaNY

Working with the Cane at punching distance poses significant challenges. The Cane can become entangled or jammed. It can be grabbed. I can be grabbed and unless I know what I am doing, I will only have one hand to work with.

And then there is the real possibility that if I discard the Cane in a Self-Defense situation (or even in a friendly match); it could be used against me.

Today, I am practicing the Backhand Thrust at punching range. The video shows how to do this.

Combining this strike with steps, blocks, kicks, Cane retention techniques; that is the challenge.

Cane control is a matter of knowledge put into practice. I know what I am doing and I do it.

The Cane grip in this case is one where my wrist moves very little. I am assertive in my use of the cane but I assertively keep my wrist still. I know that sounds a bit strange but it is all too easy to damage my arm if I am not careful about how I wield this short staff known as a Cane.

Without prejudice

No comments:

Post a Comment