Monday, January 20, 2014

The 2nd Grip on the Cane and the Underhand Diagonal Strikes

http://youtu.be/gA-aGTl19UY

Simply the reverse direction of what I was doing yesterday.

Again, this both a simple yet advanced concept that can go so very wrong so quickly and the consequences can be long lasting.

Care must be taken due to the deceptively powerful nature of these strikes.

I strike underhand in a diagonal fashion with a Ridgehand (and hip torque).   I also use the Cane in the second grip in the same way but at a much greater distance.

The video demonstrates how and how far away, etcetera but it is vital to remember these keys points.

The Cane is essentially, a short staff, not a sword. The two have entirely different effects when they land. Do not confuse one with the other.

Cane control is a matter of knowledge put into practice. I know what I am doing and I do it.

The Cane grip must be both firm yet facile. It must allow for both impact and movement. In many ways, the Cane Grip is a position like any other and must be trained just as seriously.

I strive to always know where the end of my Cane is.

Again:
Last but not least; striking a bag the resists is a very different thing than striking the air (which does not). Both must be practiced and due diligence must be exercised during this practice.

I cannot emphasize this last point strongly enough.

BE CAREFUL!!!!

Without prejudice

No comments:

Post a Comment