Monday, March 16, 2015

Two Thrusts with the Cane

I work with the Cane because I use a cane in my non martial arts life. It makes sense to be able to use one in practice. It is not a weapon of self defense but rather a tool or ‘Training Aid’.

I use it to assist my balance when I am practicing my kicks. Between kicks (and before and after them) I have three choices: I can put it down, I can use it as an extension of my arms or I can let it get in the way.

By alternating putting it down with letting it become an extension of my arms; I am far less likely to let it get in the way.

I have also found that there is also this to consider; the average cane is light, flexible and durable with care and proper use. Slamming it into things is a sure fire way to break it…

So my training with the cane must be done with care and attention to form (and to the limits of the tool).

All that being said; I tend to use the cane as I would a short (three foot) staff.

Today I am practicing in the fifth grip (about a third and a third and a third).

I demonstrate two basic thrusts (the cross check with the middle of the cane and the point thrust).

There are others but these two also have the benefit of having the same distance as punching or kicking.
http://youtu.be/YdUmwQjIL5s
Without prejudice

No comments:

Post a Comment