Thursday, February 17, 2011

Two Man Cross Downward Block and Counter Punch Drill

I noticed that when I edited today’s footage that at one point, Jason’s counter punch starts late and it missed. What isn’t shown in this clip is that I also started a counter punch late and I too, missed.

That is the disadvantage of pausing between the block and the counter punch. Sometimes there is enough time for an attacker to move away of follow up his initial assault with more attacks and maintain the initiative until he is successful.

It also illustrates clearly that this drill is just that: a drill. It is not fighting nor sparring. It is an exercise designed to build confidence in the few moves practiced.

I said earlier this week that this drill was the essence of what this art is all about. I stand by those words. The essence of this drill is about practicing. Even though the counter puncher was late, because no damage was inflicted (although it could have been), more practice can be done.

Without prejudice

No comments:

Post a Comment