Sunday, March 6, 2011

A Flurry of Punches at Half Distance

This week I’m working the heavy bag in a slightly different manner. I’m pounding it with several strikes in a row.

The point is to be able to just keep striking. All too often, especially in my early stages of training, there was a tendency to hit once or twice and stop, lower my guard and assess the damage.

I had to learn to strike with multiple hits. It took effort, time and I had to learn to be willing to do this.

Even so, there was a time when I kicked the guy between the legs hard enough to make stop attacking me him bend over in pain.

Imagine my surprise when he suddenly stood up and rushed me.

Fortunately my conditioning to continue fighting took over. I hit him several more times…

Today I’m working the heavy bag at half distance. I can touch the bag with both left and right sets of knuckles. I just continue to pound the thing.

Something else I do my best to remember; if I’m close enough to hit someone (around my own size), they are usually close enough to hit me back.

Without prejudice

No comments:

Post a Comment