Wednesday, March 23, 2011

The Inverted Lunging Shovel Hooks

This is very similar to what I was using at the beginning of the week. All week long I have been using strikes that work best at half distance.

Half distance is defined in Kisae Kempo as the feeling that I can reach out and touch the other gut with both knuckles on his chest at the same time without stretching.

Inverted Lunges work best at the half distance range but they are not the only way of moving. There is also standard lunging, shuffling, the stepthrough, double leg short advance, etc.


While the shovel hook looks similar to a basic quarter distance angled hook punch; the shovel hook is actually closer to a straight punch.

Striking at quarter distance with short hook punches, elbows, knees, etc. requires a lot of practice at this different distance too. Just because I can do one does not mean I can do the other without a lot of practice on the other.

And I do not recommend using inverted lunges at quarter distance.

Without prejudice

No comments:

Post a Comment