Tuesday, November 5, 2013

The Butt End of the Cane

http://youtu.be/nLpH2K7UH78
As I stated in the video, there are two lessons being demonstrated today.

The first is ‘Situational Awareness’. The story I relate in the video did actually happened and I was very lucky it did not end badly. I was not ‘Looking Around’ as I had been taught.

Another name for the lesson could be ‘Look Around’. Paying attention to what is going on around me as well as what I am doing is very important for a variety of reasons (not just self defense).

The main lesson being offered today is to step into a Horse and shuffle into the heavy bag while delivering a thrust with the butt end of the cane. The cane is held in the fifth grip.

The various ‘how-to-do-this’ details are demonstrated in the video. This drill is about becoming familiar with the cane, the distances involved, etc.

In many ways this drill is similar to yesterday’s drill involving the forward bow and the cross check. Becoming aware of how to hold the cane, how to step with it, the various distances that the cane, the kick and the step work at, is very important to me as a Martial Artist.

It is important to realize that the attributes I train barehanded are the same attributes I use when practicing with the cane.

Practice, practice, practice…It is all important!

Without prejudice

No comments:

Post a Comment