Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Kneeling Descending Palm Heel Hammer Block

*WARNING: All groin defenses are dangerous and care should be taken when practicing with a partner.

It is all too easy to damage without meaning to. This applies to both parties. Start slow and make sure you are under the guidance of an experienced teacher.

Remember, this block only works when it is a reflex move and that only happens with a lot of practice (read thousands of times solo and thousands more with a partner).

More, this is a high risk defense. If I am late, I miss or miscalculate; the kick will strike me harder than if I had not done anything at all.




http://youtu.be/biMfE8bG0TY

The Kneeling Descending Palm Heel Hammer Block is done while in the Forward Bow. I simply kneel down as I drop my Palmheel into the incoming kick. I keep my head up as I kneel down.

Simple, yes…Easy, not so much…And be advised, the defender is moving toward the kick (simply by kneeling). So the power of the kick is intensified. The palm heel must be the point of contact.

Ideally, the attacking foot is struck on the arch. If the attacker were wearing steel toed boots, the palm heel would make contact with the foot behind the steel toe and just in front of the ankle.

All that being said, this block (when executed correctly), is a quick, powerful and very effective defense that leaves the defender in a perfect position to counter attack.

Without prejudice

No comments:

Post a Comment