Friday, October 25, 2013

Shift Forward Rear Foot Block


*WARNING: All groin defenses are dangerous and care should be taken when practicing with a partner.

It is all too easy to damage without meaning to. This applies to both parties. Start slow and make sure you are under the guidance of an experienced teacher.

Remember, this groin defense only works when it is a reflex move and that only happens with a lot of practice (read thousands of times solo and thousands more with a partner).

This is a high risk defense for two reasons; I am moving forward into the kick and my blocking leg is moving in the same upward direction as the attacking kick .
http://youtu.be/vMGg1xvzSKk
The Shift Forward Rear Foot Block is done from a Forward Bow with the inside edge of the heel.  I simply shift forward and lift and drive my rear leg into the incoming kick.

If I am on time, I slam into the top of his ankle stopping his kick and likely damaging his leg.

If I am too early, my leg jams his kick but no damage occurs

If I am too late I moving into his kick and my blocking leg now becomes a guide and actually can assist  his kick.

This is simple and easy in theory but be advised, this defense requires a lot of practice or it will be too late against a determined adversary.

All that being said, this advanced block (when executed correctly), is a quick, powerful and very effective defense that can leave the defender in a perfect position to counter attack.

Without prejudice

No comments:

Post a Comment