Thursday, October 24, 2013

Shift Away Lead Leg Block

*WARNING: All groin defenses are dangerous and care should be taken when practicing with a partner.

It is all too easy to damage without meaning to. This applies to both parties. Start slow and make sure you are under the guidance of an experienced teacher.

Remember, this groin defense only works when it is a reflex move and that only happens with a lot of practice (read thousands of times solo and thousands more with a partner).

Like yesterday’s defense, this is also a high risk defense. Because I am moving back, there is a tendency to think I am safe when in fact I may still be in range. Also, this block can be slower than intended because I am using my legs to first shift back then left to block.

http://youtu.be/kICVJfdpk7w
The Shift Away Lead Leg Block is done from a Forward Bow. I simply withdraw back to a front Cat Stance then lift my lead leg to block the incoming kick.

If I am on time, I will be out of his range (only slightly) and I can use the inside of my lower leg to move his kick aside.

If I am too early, my leg will simply get in the way and the attacker will kick into the outside of my leg (which is now in the way of his kick).

If I am too late, it is likely I will be kicked in the groin ( a not fun proposition under any conditions).

This is simple and easy in theory but be advised, this defense requires a lot of practice or it will be too late against a determined adversary.

All that being said, this advanced block (when executed correctly), is a quick, powerful and very effective defense that can leave the defender in a perfect position to counter attack.

Without prejudice

No comments:

Post a Comment