Tuesday, October 15, 2013

The Outside Palm Block

http://youtu.be/6QIC_nLr78g

I usually use this palm strike (which is used here as a block) against an incoming punch to my face. I demonstrate how to use this block against a bare fist.

Be advised, it is my opinion that defending against weapons is a different affair all together. Weapons defenses are not what I am showing here.

Before I actually get to the block, I take time to set it up. I am forward facing (or forward angled). My core is firm, my knees are bent. I am at the correct distance for a punching attack and my arms are set.

There are several points about this block that are very important.

One is to open my blocking hand and use the palm while it is head height and about six inches out from me. I do not hold it too close to me. I am using my palm to hit with. I am not using the arm as a shield.

Two, as I drive the palm across the front of my face, I drop my opposite arm out of the way.

Three, I use the arm alone when executing this block. I do not turn my body into this block (as I demonstrate in the video).

Without prejudice

No comments:

Post a Comment