Thursday, September 12, 2013

The Thrusting Back Kick

I can execute this kick in several ways. I usually start in a leading horse stance. I am just outside kicking range (as I show in my video).


http://youtu.be/4a2UV6d03AA

When I am sliding in with this kick, I step with my lead leg until I am in a forward bow away from my attacker. Then I advance toward him my stepping with my rear leg. I literally shuffle while turned away.

 At this point I execute a thrusting back kick by lifting up my leg and driving my heel into my attacker’s body.

I set the leg down and withdraw.

http://youtu.be/HIRYmmrYWO4 



 When I am shifting forward to spin a thrusting back kick I start in exactly the same position I did if I were sliding in a thrusting back kick.

I even step to the forward bow like last time. Only in this case, I turn even further and look over my rear shoulder at my attacker. Then I shift my weight toward him and kick.

It is actually much harder to write it down than it is to perform it.

The kick should be easy and effortless. It is only when it makes contact that its real power is felt.

http://youtu.be/zw6_VXNPl_k

When I am shifting away to spin a thrusting back kick I start with my back leg just outside kicking range.  I turn as I step back to neutral and kick with my back leg.

The trick with all three of these kicks is to make sure I have both timing and positioning and an effortless execution that does not require thought.

Without prejudice

No comments:

Post a Comment